Monday, January 3, 2011

love is watching someone die

we lost my uncle brian to cancer today. it was extremely hard to watch someone that was always so big and strong go through that rapid cancer decline, the deterioration, the memory loss, the accelerated aging. as you get older, you lose more people & honestly it is not getting any easier. he is the first of the six children of my grandparents to pass away. cancer stole him and my grandmother at the same age. forty nine. it amazes me now that i am 31 because at 8 years old i thought my grandmother was a relic. now i see that 49 is not old at all. even when my grandfather passed at 70 years old i feel like he wasn't ready. i really believed that he would live forever. then that cancer whisper comes and you just know. the thing that really gets me is that it runs so solid and deep in my family that it will most likely come for us all. and here i am as a third gen, set in this family as more of a little sister to my aunts and uncles than a niece, miles apart from the relationships my cousins have with these people...and i will be the one to watch them all go. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

i will remember brian forever. anytime i listen to classic rock, see a 1964 bug or really any vw/audi, make lasagna, sausage gravy or fruit salsa, work on my car, work on my house, look at the mexican tile that he laid in my sunroom, or think of all the stuff he did for me in the ways that only he could...i will think of him kicking my ass and making me tough when i was a kid, or telling me stories and giving me life lessons. brian wasn't perfect and neither am i. i know he wouldn't change a second of the life he led. i love you bro bri. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment